Saturday, December 26, 2009

Are at-home highlighting kits for colored hair stronger than those for uncolored hair?

I purchased one for color treated hair and it did nothing! My hair is colored a honey shade to cover a few grays. I'd like to add some lighter highlights and I'm thinking of trying the highlights for uncolored hair hoping it will be stronger. I want to do it myself since the last time I let a salon do it I came out looking like a zebra and my scalp was burned! If I do it myself at least I can rinse it if it starts to burn or sting.Are at-home highlighting kits for colored hair stronger than those for uncolored hair?
My hairdresser says it's more harsh to color your hair than it is to relax it. Personally I think they are just as bad and I would leave the color up to a professional!!!Are at-home highlighting kits for colored hair stronger than those for uncolored hair?
Thanks Carey! Report Abuse

I my self know how to do highlights and i find now that the store bought highlight kits are okay but there not the best ...What i suggest is to go to a beauty supply store such as sally and buy this by Miss Clairol its call 7 stage its easy to use it comes in a 2oz bottle and then you need to buy to activator crystals then the cream developer works great and can be use on the scalp ...when you use any bleach make sure its a on scalp bleach if you don't want a burn...good luck
i would definitely not try to do it yourself. if you go to a salon, ask for a master colorist...or one who has been working with hair color for at least 3-5 years. you best bet is to tell them exactly what you want and exactly what you don't want....communication with your hair stylist is the #1 most imoportant thing! and always make sure you are comfortable with this stylist before she/he does anything to your hair! i am a cosmetologist...so i am just letting you know my professional opinion. best of luck in your search!!
no. it's all the same. but at the salon they use a special kind of coloring. and the stylist probably didn't know what she was doing and left it in way to long.
Highlighting kits are bleaching kits, and haircolor won't lift artificial hair color, for instance you can't buy a shade lighter than what you have and expect it to do anything. Try the bleach again, but this time wait longer to get past the strong yellow stage your hair will go through, it's a tough one. I usually put heat to the bag on my head with a hairdryer but I'm a professional hairdresser and that requires close attention, only do that if you're sure you can differentiate between blonde and white, cause the white will fall apart on you. But, trying to get past that yellow stage does take some patience, and if your hair color is very resistant you may have to do two applications.
not sure
at home kits are always stronger than the ones used at a salon. especially for your hair since it is not a dark colour you do not need a lot of strength. It will be much more damaging since it is made for every type of hair. The colour is a little bit stronger if you are using a formula for coloured hair. And you shouldn't be experiencing much burning at all if your highlights are not applied directly to the scalp (generally they are not). I suggest doing cap highlights. There will be less chance of messing it up, the colour is not applied directly to the scalp and it's easy to do and you can have the desired amount you would like. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment